Thursday, June 30, 2011

Liancourt Rocks, a.k.a. Dokdo islands, in the Sea of Japan.

IMAGE OF THE DAY... Today’s entry goes to a group of small islets located in the Sea of Japan. Known as Liancourt Rocks, or Dokdo islands, I first became aware of this intriguing locale when I saw a photo of it on a freeway billboard sign near my hometown. I forgot what the ad on the billboard was about, specifically, but this pic totally sold me on visiting this island...if it was at all possible [considering the fact that Dokdo is home to only two residents: an octopus fisherman and his wife (according to Wikipedia, haha). South Korea also stations its Coast Guard there]. Along with this cool boat image that was taken in the Andaman Sea near Thailand, the Dokdo photo exemplifies the kind of awesome and exotic places to go to in Asia (including the Great Wall of China, the Angkor Wat temple in Cambodia and Thailand’s massage parlo— Nevermind). If not now...then obviously in the future (as something I would mention on a bucket list).

The million dollar question is: Why hasn’t Liancourt Rocks been featured in any Hollywood movie or something? Possibly because it is a remote location...or maybe it’s because South Korea’s Coast Guard or that fisherman and his wife don’t want outsiders lurking on their property. Either way, I would try to convince them to have me shoot some kind of film project on the island. Most likely it would be a mystical kung-fu flick (like Big Trouble in Little China, Mortal Kombat or um, The Forbidden Kingdom)... Or a James Bond-ish spy movie where the protagonist (not necessarily British or American) finds out that a large nuclear weapons facility is hidden underneath Dokdo’s islets. Don't steal my ideas now. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment