Thursday, May 19, 2011

Posing inside the Space Flight Operations Facility at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, on May 15, 2011.

LAST SUNDAY, I attended the Open House at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) near Pasadena, California. This is the seventh time since 1992 I attended the annual event, and I must say this trip is my favorite one so far...the main reason being that the Curiosity Mars rover is basically complete and ready for launch (this November) when she was put on display inside JPL's Spacecraft Assembly Facility. Also, I got to be on the ground floor of the Space Flight Operations Facility (a.k.a. the 'Mission Control' for scores of spacecraft flying around in our solar system), shown above. I took pictures inside the SFOF back in 2006, but that was inside a small viewing room at the back of the control center. To be standing right next to the computers that monitor distant spacecraft such as Cassini, Dawn and Mars spacecraft such as the Opportunity rover was very cool. Anyways, click on the red link below to see more photos that I took at the Open House. Hopefully I’ll be back at JPL on June 6. I’d elaborate on this, but I don’t wanna jinx it. That is all.

LINK: Photos I took at the 2011 JPL Open House

The CURIOSITY Mars rover on display inside the Spacecraft Assembly Facility.

Posing with the Curiosity rover behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment