Thursday, July 04, 2024

Firefly Aerospace Puts On A Pre-Independence Day Light Show Above SoCal...

The bright contrail created by Firefly Aerospace's Alpha rocket is visible from a window at home in Pomona, CA...on July 3, 2024.
Richard T. Par

Happy Fourth of July, fellow Americans! Just thought I'd share these two pics that I took of Firefly Aerospace's latest launch of its Alpha rocket last night.

Alpha's fifth flight since October 2022 took place from Vandenberg Space Force Base in Santa Barbara County, California, at 9:04 PM, Pacific Daylight Time...carrying 8 NASA-sponsored CubeSats to low-Earth orbit as part of Firefly's Noise of Summer mission (which is officially designated as FLTA005).

I watched the Noise of Summer launch from a window at my house in Pomona, California, just like I did with the very first SpaceX Starlink flight which I photographed back in March. Assuming that the next Alpha rocket lifts off in the evening just like FLTA005, I'll be sure to at least step outside my home to capture images (probably with a new smartphone and not my current Google Pixel 4A) as Firefly's sixth operational launch vehicle soars toward space from the Central California coastline!

Enjoy the fireworks that will occur much closer to the ground tonight, my awesome Yanks.

The 'jellyfish' effect created by Firefly Aerospace's Alpha rocket is visible from a window at home in Pomona, CA...on July 3, 2024.
Richard T. Par


No comments:

Post a Comment