Wednesday, January 05, 2022

Some Tidbits from My '23andMe' Genetics Report...

Should I be intrigued or embarrassed? Thanks, 23andMe!

Earlier today, I received an e-mail from 23andMe informing me about how my DNA report was ready...after I mailed my saliva sample to the biotechnology company last month.

There is so much information to blog about here, but I'll just mention the most obvious and interesting details:

- I'm 99.7% Southeast Asian (surprise, surprise—'cause I'm Filipino)...with my lineage probably originating in Luzon island's Ilocos Region in the Philippines, or possibly Taiwan

- I'm 0.3% Southern East African...with my descendants (who spoke Bantu, a Niger–Congo language) migrating from the highlands of what is today Nigeria and Cameroon

- I have 2% Neanderthal DNA...which is more than that in 98% of other 23andMe customers (in case that image above wasn't enough to inform you about this, heh)

- Two traits that apparently resulted from my Neanderthal ancestry is me having difficulty discarding rarely-used possessions (which is completely accurate!), and me being less likely to have a fear of heights [which is obviously true seeing as how I went skydiving 5 times since 2005... One of those skydives being my HALO jump from 29,190 feet above Tennessee in 2013 (shown below)]

- Another trait that this genetics test accurately predicted is me preferring vanilla over chocolate-flavored ice cream... I love vanilla!

- One trait that this test inaccurately predicted is that I wouldn't have dimples... People kept pointing out that I had cute dimples when I was a child

Anyways, that's enough tidbits about my genetic code for now. 23andMe also offered the option of me knowing what health issues I was predisposed to in the future...but I declined it. This was one of those situations where ignorance is bliss. Happy Wednesday!

I apparently have my Neanderthal ancestry to thank for me having the fortitude to skydive 29,190 feet above Whiteville, Tennessee, on April 29, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment