Sunday, June 06, 2021

Photo of the Day: Visiting the Curiosity Mars Rover at NASA JPL 10 Years Ago...

Posing with the Curiosity Mars rover and its descent stage behind me inside the Spacecraft Assembly Facility at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory...on June 6, 2011.

It was on this day in 2011 that I attended a social media event (called the JPL Tweetup) at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory near Pasadena, California...during which I got to see the Curiosity Mars rover undergo final testing inside the Spacecraft Assembly Facility (SAF). By the end of that June, the 6-wheeled, nuclear-powered robot was transported to NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida to be prepared for launch—which took place aboard an Atlas V rocket from nearby Cape Canaveral Air Force Station on November 26, 2011. This was such a cool moment, and I was glad that I was also able to see Curiosity's successor, Perseverance, built inside the SAF several years later.

For more images that I took at the JPL Tweetup, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment