Saturday, June 20, 2020

Artwork of the Day: Wrath of the Dark Trooper...

My drawing of a Dark Trooper from the STAR WARS: DARK FORCES video game.

Contrary to what I wrote in this previous Blog entry, it isn't the Gundam Epyon that I drew after illustrating Valak from the 2018 horror flick The Nun, but a Dark Trooper from the 1995 Star Wars video game, Dark Forces. It was the ad below that got me to become a Star Wars fan 25 years ago (when I was in my second semester in 9th grade). This was because I initially thought that this was a character from the Star Wars prequels—which, of course, wouldn't start hitting theaters for another four years. The cool design of this Imperial villain captured my imagination, and it wouldn't be till 1997 (when I was a junior in high school) that I played against this antagonist on Dark Forces when it became available for Sony Playstation (which my family originally had; but I have no idea what happened to it). This Dark Trooper was the final boss in the game, and he was pretty easy to defeat, hah!

I originally tried to draw this artwork over a decade ago, but I found it a bit challenging coloring-wise (using Crayola markers to emulate a painting is pretty tricky work) so I abandoned the effort. Leave it to staying at home during the coronavirus pandemic to give me motivation to try drawing the Dark Trooper again! Anyways, next up: the Gundam Epyon. No seriously!

The Dark Trooper in an official ad for the STAR WARS: DARK FORCES video game.
Lucasarts

No comments:

Post a Comment