Sunday, September 18, 2011

A new signpost at CSULB...showing the distance to different cities around the world.

PHOTOS OF THE DAY... Earlier today, I drove down to my old college alma mater, Cal State Long Beach, just to pay a visit. Upon arriving at the campus, I noticed this interesting new signpost that was installed...which shows the distance from CSULB to different cities around the globe. I don’t know what the purpose is for this new sign, but it’s pretty cool. Though I have to ask: Isn’t the Earth around 7,900 miles in diameter? If so, then how can Port Elizabeth be more than 10,300 miles away? And Riyadh and Kuala Lumpur be more than 8,200 miles away? Pardon my ignorance... I’ve always been bad at math, and maybe this is the distance that airliners have to fly (if you count factors such as stopovers and whatnot, haha) to these various destinations, but this is pretty odd. Unless of course, the Earth has grown 3,000 miles larger over the past—twenty years. Yea, I’m pretty sure that’s not the case. Go 49ers!

I’m referring to our school's mascot, not San Francisco’s football team.

A new signpost at CSULB...showing the distance to different cities around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment