Monday, July 11, 2011

20 YEARS AGO TODAY, a total solar eclipse took place over parts of the South American continent. Totality first began over the Pacific Ocean and Hawaii before moving across Mexico, down through Central America and then across South America as it concluded over Brazil. By the moment of maximum eclipse, the event lasted 6 minutes and 53 seconds.

I myself didn’t view the eclipse through a telescope as so many did, but I did watch it live on TV and kept the front page of the next day’s edition of the Los Angeles Times newspaper...since it had a large photo of the eclipse on it. Of course, that front page is long gone (forgot where I put it, and I moved to um, two different cities since '91). Just thought I’d share this with you to let you know just how long I’ve been a space geek. I was between 5th and 6th grade at the time.


The Great Eclipse of July 11, 1991...as seen from Puerto Challe in Baja, California.
Courtesy of John Volk

No comments:

Post a Comment