Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The crew of the USS Enterprise.

STAR TREK... I saw the film last Saturday, and needless to say, I was impressed. I’m far from being a Trekker, but J.J. Abrams totally pulled off a nice little comeback for the Star Trek franchise. The action sequences were awesome, the comedy was great (as many have stated, Karl Urban stole the show as Dr. "Bones" McCoy: "Spock, are you out of your Vulcan mind??), and it had some nice emotional moments...especially in the beginning. I must admit that I was close to becoming teary-eyed during the USS Kelvin scene. Damn those, Romulans! Speaking of Romulans, Eric Bana did a nice job as Captain Nero...despite not having much screentime in the movie. But like Darth Maul in, um, The Phantom Menace, that only added to Nero’s coolness factor.

Eric Bana as Romulan bad guy, Captain Nero.

It was a nice job of Mr. Abrams in getting Leonard Nimoy to reprise his role as Spock (Prime, that is). Nimoy still looks like the character he made so iconic...whereas William Shatner should not complain that he wasn’t approached to reprise his role as Captain James Kirk in this latest film. Unless the writers (Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, who both wrote Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and its predecessor as well) wrote in a scene that explained how Chris Pine’s Kirk gained 50 pounds at the age of 78, it was good that Shatner wasn’t included.

Zachary Quinto as Spock.

My most favorite scene in Trek was when Kirk, Hikaru Sulu (John Cho, of American Pie and Harold & Kumar fame) and that other character whose name I can’t remember dove down towards the platform that was blasting that beam into the core of planet Vulcan. That’s what I call ‘extreme skydiving’. What a cool action sequence...though it makes one think: If that ship was used by the Romulans for mining purposes, then why does it have such friggin’ powerful weapons?? Oh well.

Zoe Saldana as Nyota Uhura.

In terms of the hot babes in Trek, there were only two: The Terminal's Zoe Saldana as Nyota Uhura and Jennifer Morrison (of the hit FOX TV show, House) as Kirk’s mom, Winona. All this time, I thought that that was Thandie Newton playing Uhura. My bad. I was about to say that Newton did a great job speaking with a regular American accent in this movie, but nevermind. If I was Kirk, I too would be pretty shocked that Uhura had the hots for a pointy-eared stiffneck like Spock...but I heard that’s how it was between the two characters in the 1960’s TV show as well. All righty then.

The starship Enterprise.

To end this Blog: Star Trek was a blast. I really do hope that Paramount makes a sequel (this first film should make bank since there’re good word of mouth and such awesome reviews revolving around it). And if it does, not one change should be made to the cast and crew. One more note about the cast: Simon Pegg (best known for Hot Fuzz, Sean of the Dead and working with Megan Fox in last year's How to Lose Friends & Alienate People) was hilarious as Scotty. One of my co-workers who I watched Trek with called Scotty's alien sidekick an Oompa Loompa. Haha. Anyways... Here’s another question I’m posing to ya'll: I wonder how the Star Wars prequels would’ve been like had George Lucas hired Abrams to direct the new films and Orci and Kurtzman to write their screenplays? Hmm... Could’ve, would’ve, should’ve. I now bid you all farewell. Live long and prosper.

Yes, I know... That was lame.

Will Kirk and Spock return for future space adventures?  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment