Monday, June 11, 2001

Yesterday was fun. Not only because the Lakers beat the Sixers, 96-91, in Game 3 of the NBA Finals...but also because I watched the game with 5 of my friends and 10,000 fellow fans at STAPLES Center during a "Home Court Advantage" viewing. Bringing back memories of last year, when I went with my other friends to practically every H.C.A viewing at STAPLES when Lakers beat the Indiana Pacers in the Finals, I once again went to the local In-&Out restaurant near my house after the game to celebrate L.A.'s victory. Of course, out of all the H.C.A. viewings we went to in Spring 2000, Lakers only won one game on the other team's court (Game 4 against Pacers). It's all good.


So what's so cool about going to a Home Court Advantage viewing when the players you're rooting for aren't at the arena you're watching the game at? Well, STAPLES treat these viewings like an actual game. Laker Girls dance in the middle of timeouts, the Laker starting lineup is treated with a laser display at the start of the viewing, just as if it was the start of an actual game, and confetti and streamers are released from the rafters near STAPLES' ceiling to celebrate the Laker victory.

The most memorable thing of all: Exiting out of STAPLES with thousands of other cheering fans and hearing hundreds of cars outside honking their horns to celebrate L.A.'s triumph. THAT, and people on the verge of starting a riot, which won't happen till the championship is obtained. Yep, that's so cool. Of course, Lakers still have 2 more games to win the Big One...but a win is a win, and me, my friends and the other fans will treat it as such. GO L.A.!!!

Another note: Until the NBA Finals are over, every entry in my journal will deal in one way or the other with the Lake Show.