Friday, April 15, 2011

At NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory near Pasadena, CA, on April 14, 2011.

YESTERDAY, I attended another lecture at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) near Pasadena, California. The topic this time around was about scientific achievements made during the space shuttle era. The speaker was Eugene Trinh...an astronaut who flew on STS-50, a 13-day-long Spacelab mission onboard the orbiter Columbia in June of 1992.

A model of NASA's Juno spacecraft...which will launch to Jupiter this August.

It’s always cool to see an astronaut up-close in person. The last time this occurred was in 1993, when I attended another presentation (in San Diego, CA) by Sally Ride—the first American woman to fly into space (onboard the orbiter Challenger in 1983). I went to that presentation with one of my brothers...who was also at yesterday’s lecture (he attends more JPL lectures than I do). I also ran into one of my former high school classmates at last night’s presentation. Of course, he actually works at JPL...as a software engineer. Lucky dude.

A mock-up of the Explorer 1 satellite inside the lobby of JPL's von Kármán Auditorium...where the lecture was held.

No comments:

Post a Comment