Tuesday, July 28, 2009

On July 23, 2009, the Hubble Space Telescope shot this image of Jupiter after an object recently collided with it.
NASA / ESA and H. Hammel (Space Science Institute, Boulder, Colo.), and the Jupiter Impact Team

SUMMER OF 1994... Just thought I’d reminisce about the events of that season in this journal entry, for the heck of it. In some ways, this summer reminds me of that one 15 years ago. Well actually, there are only two events this year that are direct reminders of the past. I’ll mention them below.

PIC 1: Brandon Lee in THE CROW.  PIC 2: Keanu Reeves tries to save Sandra Bullock's life in SPEED.

JUNE ’94:

-I graduated from elementary school...and as one of my graduation gifts, I got money to buy my first CD ever: The Crow movie soundtrack (with kick-ass songs by Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, The Cure and much more). Brandon Lee kicked ass as the avenging guitar hero in the film. Rest in peace, dude.

-The Normandy (D-Day) landings celebrate their 50th anniversary.

-Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock get it on in Speed...which was an awesome movie. Dennis Hopper is insane.

PIC 1: Jamie Lee Curtis and Arnold Schwarzenegger in TRUE LIES.  PIC 2: An infrared photo of Jupiter after it is struck by Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9's fragments.

JULY ’94:

-Arnold Schwarzenegger dances the tango with Jamie Lee Curtis and rides a Harrier jet in True Lies...which was worth its $100 million budget. James Cameron, who directed this movie, would spend twice that amount on his Oscar-winning epic Titanic a few years later.

-Apollo 11 marks its 25th anniversary. This year, the moon landing celebrated its 40th anniversary.

-Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 strikes Jupiter over a 6-day span. This year, another mysterious object struck the giant planet and left a scar the size of the Pacific Ocean in its atmosphere. See pic at the very top of this journal entry.

-My family and I went to Griffith Observatory because telescopes were set up to watch the celestial collision at the Jovian planet take place. Yes, you heard RIGHT. I’m talking like a poindexter. As usual.

PIC 1: Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz share a dance in THE MASK.  PIC 2: A Todd McFarlane drawing of SPAWN.

AUGUST ’94:

-Since early June, I made a gripload of drawings based on comic book series like Youngblood, Deathblow, Pitt and Spawn. As of today, only one of those four comics, Spawn, is still being published. You can view most of these drawings in my Artwork section.

-I also drew The Mask...which was released in movie theaters on July 29, but never saw it till I bought the VHS tape (VHS...wow) a few months later. I was greatly disappointed...since so much hype was made around the CGI work done in the movie whenever Jim Carrey donned the mask. The special effects were awesome... The movie? Not so much. Cameron Diaz, on the other hand... DAYAMN. In this movie, at least.

-My family went to Griffith Observatory again. I haven’t been back since. I’ll return...eventually.

-I had two Japanese exchange students (or was it one? I don’t remember) stay at my family’s house for like two weeks. I recall that we took them to watch True Lies since it was still out in theaters...as well as the Harrison Ford-as-Jack Ryan flick, Clear & Present Danger.

-I counted down to the days before I started freshman year in high school.

-I started my first year in high school. I hung around with some of the hottest Asian girls and coolest Asian groups on campus. For about a month.

My high school alma mater...which didn't look like that back in '94.

No comments:

Post a Comment