Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A satellite image of Hurricane Gustav.

DESPITE THE FACT TROPICAL STORM FAY put a damper on my plans to go to Cape Canaveral and visit tourist sites in Orlando about 2 weeks ago, I actually developed a newfound interest in tropical storms and hurricanes (but YES, I’m still pissed over Fay). Obviously overlooking the amount of death and destruction they (always) wrought, hurricanes themselves are awesome forces of nature (and NO, I wouldn’t tell that to someone who lived in New Orleans during August of 2005). On the ground, it looks like your average rainstorm (albeit with 100+ mph winds and a 14-feet storm surge), but from outer space, they appear as amazing behemoths. I mean... A spiraling mass of cloud that is on average 400 miles in diameter, with arm bands extending thousands of miles across the eastern United States and over the Atlantic Ocean? Sure beats the dull earthquakes we get here in southern California. Just being facetious.

Hurricane Katrina in August, 2005.

I’d much rather be caught by surprise by a large tumbler (won’t elaborate on the magnitude) in the Southland than having to worry about boarding up windows, putting my most valuable belongings in my car and getting the hell out of there.

Water splashes over the Industrial Canal levee in New Orleans, during Hurricane Gustav.

Other than that, hurricanes are amazing. I’m also reading up on levees. That’s how bored I am right now.

This August 31, 2008 NOAA GOES 12 satellite image shows Hurricane Gustav (L). Over a million people in New Orleans were evacuated ahead of the giant storm, which made landfall on the U.S. Gulf Coast on September 1. At right is Tropical Storm-turned-Hurricane Hanna.

First it was Fay, then Gustav, and now it’s Hurricane Hanna looming in the Atlantic, as well as Tropical Storm-most-likely-to-become-a-Hurricane Ike next to it (and don't forget Josephine). If you ask me, I prefer being a tourist in The Bahamas, not a resident...thank you. And don’t even get me started on living in Cuba right now. That’s all.

Hurricane clouds.

This journal entry sure is inconsistent.

A hurricane hunter aircraft flies through the eye of Katrina.

No comments:

Post a Comment