Thursday, December 20, 2007

On the PLUS SIDE, it’s not a rotator cuff tear... This morning, I went to see my doctor to go over the results of the MRI exam I took of my right shoulder on December 7. Here’s what the report said:

"1. Mild shoulder impingement, secondary to lateral downsloping of the acromion, abutting on the superior aspect of the supraspinatus tendon. Small amount of fluid is noted at the subacromial-subdeltoid bursa.

2. Slight increase signal of the distal supraspinatus tendon, representing tendinosis. No evidence of rotator cuff tear.

3. The biceps tendons subscapularis tendon and the infraspinatus tendon is unremarkable. No evidence of labral tear."


To put it in layman’s terms, the edge of my right shoulder blade bone is pinching the tendon between it and the top of my humerus (the upper arm bone, if you haven’t taken a Human Anatomy or Biology class yet). Which is what I expected to hear after doing lots of research about shoulder injuries on the Internet. What I DIDN’T expect to hear was that this was something I was born with. Apparently, my acromion is shaped differently from other people. Acromions should have somewhat of a round form, but mine is shaped in a way where it naturally comes in contact with the top of my upper arm bone. Sorry, I just repeated myself, haha.

I originally injured my left shoulder 7 months ago, but chances are if I take an MRI for this side (Why didn’t I get an MRI for this side sooner? NO health insurance. Yep), the results will obviously be the same as the one for my right shoulder. And now my doctor is recommending me to go see an orthopedist for additional examination. BEST-CASE SCENARIO: The orthopedist will just recommend physical therapy that will allow me to work out despite the impingement. WORST-CASE SCENARIO: The orthopedist will recommend arthroscopy (a type of incision...not really surgery) on my shoulders. Knowing my luck, guess which scenario will probably happen? I’ve been dealing with not being able to work out heavily because of shoulder issues since May, what’s another 6 months as I recover from arthroscopy?

Thank you God, for the genetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment