Monday, July 04, 2022

On This Day in 1997: A New Era in Mars Exploration Began...

Days after successfully landing in Mars' Ares Vallis region on July 4, 1997, the Sojourner rover studies a large rock located several meters from NASA's Pathfinder spacecraft...which was later renamed the Sagan Memorial Station.
NASA / JPL

Just thought I'd point out that today marks 25 years since America's very first Mars rover, Sojourner, safely touched down on the Red Planet courtesy of NASA's Mars Pathfinder mission.

I was at home when the successful landing of Pathfinder (which would later be renamed the Sagan Memorial Station, after the late astronomer Carl Sagan) occurred...with me watching this event unfold during a live broadcast on CNN Headline News (which is now known as HLN, but still owned by CNN Global/Warner Bros. Discovery) throughout that triumphant day.

This exciting milestone in NASA's Mars Exploration Program occurred less than a month after I completed 11th grade in high school back in 1997. The Pathfinder mission inspired me to draw the illustration below, which would be included in my AP Studio Art portfolio when I began 12th grade at Bishop Amat Memorial (my high school alma mater) less than two months later. Such an exciting time.

Happy 4th of July, fellow Yanks!

A Mars Pathfinder-inspired illustration that I drew back in 1997...for my AP Studio Art class in my senior year at Bishop Amat Memorial High School.

No comments:

Post a Comment