Tuesday, September 07, 2021

Photos of the Day: Celestial Wonders Above My Street in Los Angeles County...

A snapshot of Jupiter (lower left) and Saturn (upper right) looming high above the houses on my street in Pomona, California...on September 2, 2021.

Happy Tuesday, everyone! Just thought I'd share these images of Jupiter, Saturn and the Big Dipper that I took with my Google Pixel 4A smartphone last week.

Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic began about 18 months ago, I've been taking evening walks around my street in Pomona, California almost every other day. Two of the cool things that I enjoyed looking at during my 1-plus-hour walk were Jupiter and Saturn as these two gas giants were visible in the night sky for much of 2020...until they dipped below the horizon last December.

I even took photos of Jupiter and Saturn (using my Nikon D3300 DSLR camera) a little over a year ago.

It wasn't until recent weeks that Jupiter and Saturn were visible in the evening sky above Southern California once more—and I celebrated their return by taking these photos with my smartphone.

And last Friday, I decided to take pictures of the Big Dipper...which I just found out isn't a constellation itself (it's part of the constellation Ursa Major), but a group of stars known as an asterism. Pretty interesting.

I should go to areas with much darker skies since my Pixel 4A does such an awesome job taking photos in its Night Sight mode. Of course, I also intend on shooting nocturnal images with the Nikon D3300 when I have the chance. I didn't buy a new tripod for it using the stimulus money provided by President Biden and the Democrats earlier this year for nothing!

Carry on.

A snapshot of Jupiter (lower left) and Saturn (upper right) looming high above the houses on my street in Pomona, California...on September 2, 2021.

A snapshot of Jupiter (lower left) and Saturn (upper right) looming high above the houses on my street in Pomona, California...on September 3, 2021.

A snapshot of Jupiter (lower left) and Saturn (upper right) looming high above the houses on my street in Pomona, California...on September 3, 2021.

A snapshot of the Big Dipper looming high above the houses on my street in Pomona, California...on September 4, 2021.

A snapshot of the Big Dipper looming high above the houses on my street in Pomona, California...on September 4, 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment