Sunday, July 11, 2021

Photo of the Day: The Great Eclipse of 1991...

The total solar eclipse as seen from San Jose del Cabo in Baja California, Mexico...on July 11, 1991.
Michael A. Stecker

Just thought I'd share this image of the total solar eclipse that could be seen from both American continents on July 11, 1991. I myself didn't personally view the eclipse [since my family didn't yet have a telescope (with a solar filter on it, obviously)], but I was so stoked to watch live coverage of it on television that day, as well as see a giant photo of the eclipse make the front page of the Los Angeles Times newspaper on July 12 three decades ago. (I lived in L.A. County back then, and I still live there today.) This eclipse, according to Wikipedia, was the most central total eclipse in 8 centuries—and there will not be a more central eclipse for another 800 years! I was 11 years-old at this time, with my passion for astronomy and space exploration being at an all-time high that year...until NASA's New Horizons mission enhanced my obsession tenfold (but not really in a positive way) in 2005, that is.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment