Monday, October 01, 2018

The M1A1 Abrams Tank: (Almost) 70 Tons of Armored Awesomeness...

Two M1A1 Abrams tanks roll down the tarmac at Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Miramar in San Diego, California...on September 29, 2018.

As stated in this previous entry from yesterday, I was going to post photos that I took of the M1A1 Abrams battle tanks that made an appearance at the Miramar Air Show this past weekend. As mentioned in my preceding post, I geeked out when this armored behemoth came rolling down the tarmac during a combat demo held on the airfield at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego, California. I first heard about the M1A1 during Operation Desert Storm in January of 1991 (I was in 5th grade at the time, FYI)...and was in such awe of this badass piece of weaponry that I bought a book about it at my local mall—yes, I still have it—and played a video game titled Super Battle Tank for my Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1992 (the game was fun to play...despite it having a crappy ending). It comes to show you how formidable the Abrams is that the U.S. military still uses it almost 30 years later. Of course, the U.S. Air Force has been flying the B-52 Stratofortress bomber for about 66 years now (and plan to utilize the aircraft for a full century), so that's probably not as noteworthy as I made it out to be.

Most of the photos in this entry were taken with my Nikon D3300 DSLR camera (the images of me posing with the Abrams were shot with my smartphone). I plan to share pics that I took of the Blue Angels and regular F/A-18 Hornets in San Diego next! Happy first day of October.

Two M1A1 Abrams tanks roll down the tarmac during a combat demo at MCAS Miramar in San Diego, California...on September 29, 2018.

Two M1A1 Abrams tanks roll down the tarmac at MCAS Miramar in San Diego, California...on September 29, 2018.

An M1A1 Abrams tank rolls down the tarmac at MCAS Miramar in San Diego, California...on September 29, 2018.

An M1A1 Abrams tank rolls down the tarmac at MCAS Miramar in San Diego, California...on September 29, 2018.

A close-up of the M1A1 Abrams' gun turret...on September 29, 2018.

Posing with the M1A1 Abrams at the Miramar Air Show...on September 29, 2018.

A crowd gathers around (and atop) an M1A1 Abrams on display at the Miramar Air Show...on September 29, 2018.

Taking another snapshot with the M1A1 Abrams at the Miramar Air Show...on September 29, 2018.

Another snapshot of the crowd gathered atop the M1A1 Abrams on display at the Miramar Air Show...on September 29, 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment