Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Photos of the Day: Images of Amboy Crater...

A snapshot that I took of Amboy Crater in California's Mojave Desert...on December 2, 2018.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE! Just thought I'd celebrate this holiday by sharing these pics that I took at Amboy Crater National Natural Landmark in California's Mojave Desert over three weeks ago. This ancient cinder cone, which has been dormant for 10,000 years, is located within the Mojave Trails National Monument about 165 miles from my house in the city of Pomona. The extinct volcano is situated right next to the historic highway Route 66.

The sign that welcomes drivers after they merge onto the road leading into Amboy Crater National Natural Landmark from the historic highway Route 66...on December 2, 2018.

I tried hiking up to the volcanic rim of Amboy Crater on December 2, but my messed-up center of gravity caused by a heavy backpack and my Nikon D3300 DSLR camera (whose strap was hanging from around my neck; no, the camera couldn't fit inside the backpack) made the climb up the steep trail on the side of the volcano a little bit difficult and dangerous. Oh well. Will I return to Amboy Crater and hike up to the caldera with a lighter backpack—and minus my expensive camera, you ask? Probably not... This trip wasn't on my bucket list, anyway. Seeing the Kilauea volcano and Mauna Kea (whose summit the Keck Observatory and other giant telescopes are situated on) on the Big Island of Hawaii, however, are! Carry on.

A snapshot of my Honda Civic in the parking lot of Amboy Crater National Natural Landmark...on December 2, 2018.

Making the 1.5-mile hike to Amboy Crater...on December 2, 2018.

Walking through a field of ancient volcanic rocks that surround Amboy Crater...on December 2, 2018.

Standing at the base of the trail that leads up the slope to Amboy Crater's volcanic rim...on December 2, 2018.

Taking a selfie with Amboy Crater behind me...on December 2, 2018.

I didn't make the climb up Amboy Crater's volcanic rim, but another person did (hence the red arrow).

The 1.5-mile hike back to the parking lot felt a lot quicker than the one to Amboy Crater...on December 2, 2018.

Amboy Crater as seen from Route 66...on December 2, 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment