Thursday, August 21, 2008

Me posing in front of the Atlantis Resort in Nassau City, on New Providence Island. 64 MILES AWAY... I’m back! I returned from my trip to Florida and The Bahamas yesterday. Overall, it was a good trip. I visited Key West in the Florida Keys, saw alligators in the Everglades, drove past Miami, and took that cruise to Nassau City on The Bahamas' New Providence Island. So how will I rate this 7-day sojourn? If I were to grade it, I’d give the trip a B-. The Regal Empress cruise ship docked in Nassau City, on New Providence Island. Unfortunately, while The Bahamas cruise was really enjoyable (nothing beats sitting on a lounge chair on the main deck at night and watching the moonlight reflect off the ocean. Well, except having a hot girl sitting next to me on a nearby lounge chair. And both of us possibly going back to my cabin for some good lovin'), the main reason why I went on this trip was to go to a place 64 miles away from Orlando: Cape Canaveral. A.k.a. Spaceport USA. A.k.a. Cape Kennedy. A.k.a. Kennedy Space Center. On deck onboard the Regal Empress, at night. I was suppose to visit America's 'gateway to space' on Tuesday after returning from my cruise and driving to Orlando, but Tropical Storm Fay screwed up everything. Kennedy Space Center was shut down that day (along with most of central Florida... Yes, including Disney World), so all I did that day (and yesterday, before I went back to Fort Lauderdale to take the flight back home to California) was stay in my hotel room and watch updates on the Weather Channel. What fun. On the plus side, though, at least Fay didn't turn into a Category 1 hurricane when I was in Orlando! Whatever. F*ck you, Fay. Driving in the middle of Tropical Storm Fay. So now, much like getting rained out when I was filming my college student film Envious in 2003, or my first attempt at skydiving being thwarted because of cloudy weather in San Diego in 2005, I’m left wanting to go back to complete what was left unfinished because of Fay: Visiting America’s Space Coast. Gotta save money now... By the way— What should I book first? My flight? My hotel room? Or my rental car? I'll check. Kennedy Space Center. I'll visit you, soon enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment